Your Paris Arrondissements Guide
Paris is a city of many secrets. From its underground catacombs to its hidden gardens, it’s easy to find something new no matter how often you’ve visited. But the best way to uncover some of these secrets is by exploring its arrondissements and neighborhoods. Each one has its own unique culture, with plenty of attractions, restaurants, and activities that are sure to keep you busy.
Read on for a guide to the 20 Paris Arrondissements or Paris Neighborhoods including the highlights for each arrondissement plus where to eat, play, and stay.
About the Paris Arrondissements
Paris is made up of 20 beautiful arrondissements that span the city. In my Paris Arrondissement Guide, I run through all 20 sharing what the neighborhood is known for and listing the top highlights. It's a good place to start when you aren't sure which arrondissements you want to visit.
Explore the Paris Arrondissements
Your Guide to the 20 Paris Arrondissements or Paris Neighborhoods including what are the major sites to see in each arrondissement.
What arrondissements are in Rive Gauche and Rive Droit?
The Left Bank (Rive Gauche) includes the following arrondissements: 5th, 6th, and 7th and 13th, 14th and 15th Arrondissements.
The Right Bank (Rive Droite) includes the following arrondissements: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th Arrondissements.
What each arrondissement is known for
In my Paris Arrondissements Guides, I provide more detail on what each arrondissement is known for and the highlights that you will see. In each of my arrondissement guides, I have a full listing of the sites, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping, and hotels.
Each neighborhood is also known by a name or nickname, and sometimes more than one! (If you wanted a deeper dive, check out this great summary from Wikipedia.
- The 1st arrondissement is known as: The Heart of Paris and the Arrondissement du Louvre
- The 2nd arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de la Bourse
- The 3rd arrondissement is known as: Marais, SoMa (South Marais) or Arrondissement du Temple
- The 4th arrondissement is known as: Marais, NoMa (North Marais) or Arrondissement de l’Hôtel-de-Ville
- The 5th arrondissement is known as: Latin Quarter, Student District, and arrondissement du Panthéon
- The 6th arrondissement is known as: Saint-Germain-de-Prés and Arrondissement du Luxembourg
- The 7th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Eiffel Tower and Arrondissement du Palais-Bourbon
- The 8th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de l’Élysée
- The 9th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de l’Opéra
- The 10th arrondissement is known as: Canal Saint-Martin, Arrondissement de l’Entrepôt, and Arrondissement de l’Enclos-Saint-Laurent
- The 11th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Popincourt
- The 12th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Reuilly
- The 13th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement des Gobelins
- The 14th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de l’Observatoire
- The 15th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Vaugirard
- The 16th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Passy
- The 17th arrondissement is known as: Batignolles or Arrondissement de Batignolles-Monceau
- The 18th arrondissement is known as: Montmartre or Arrondissement des Buttes-Montmartre
- The 19th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement des Buttes-Chaumont
- The 20th arrondissement is known as: Arrondissement de Ménilmontant
Now…you choose your favorite arrondissement!
Paris is one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world, but it can also be overwhelming. There are 20 arrondissements, or neighborhoods, each with its own unique character. So how to choose? Pick an arrondissement and start exploring!
Hopefully, my Paris arrondissement guides will help you choose which area of Paris you want to stay in on your next trip. Whether you're looking for amazing food, great nightlife, or just a safe place to rest your head after a long day of sightseeing, there's an arrondissement for you!