So you’re going on a trip with your significant other you’re staying at a hotel together and you’re not sure what to bring above and beyond what you would normally pack for any other trip? Don’t worry, I’ve got all the hacks for couples traveling together, and it’s based on a lot of real-world experience! Mr. Misadventures and I have been together for nearly 20 years and have traveled constantly together during that time, so I have put together a list of items that will help you survive the hotel stay with your honey as comfortably as possible. Truth be told these tips would work for sharing a hotel room with a friend as well. Especially if you want to remain friends!
Here are my hotel must-haves for couples traveling together.
- First, bring your own toiletries because the hotel might not have all that you need and it’s always nice to be able to use something that is familiar. Plus with two people using the small samples, you’ll probably run out anyway. Obvious essentials: shampoo, conditioners, moisturizer, toothbrush, mouthwash, deodorant.
- Don’t forget the all-important room/bathroom spray. You are staying in close quarters sharing one bathroom and meals where you are likely experimenting with the local cuisine which could mean disaster. Nothing is more embarrassing than “sharing” odors. (By the way, I always travel with digestive enzymes to help with indigestion as well!)
- And you’ll want an organized toilet kit! So many hotels have one sink in the bathroom and not a lot of counter space, so keeping your toiletries organized is essential.
- Speaking of space, you never know how much of it including dresser drawers and closets. Use packing cubes to keep your suitcase organized as you may have to prioritize what clothing and shoes come out of the suitcase and what stays in.
- Bring 2 laundry bags. It’s no problem to mix your laundry, but it is often easier to split up the quantity into 2 suitcases otherwise, one person will have a significant amount of their suitcase taken up by the laundry bag. In which case, the non-laundry-bag carrying traveler should offer up some space for returning clean clothes.
- Does your partner snore? Are you on a different sleep schedule? Is jetlag involved? (And therefore the TV may be on.) You will absolutely want a pair of earplugs for all those eventualities. Don’t sacrifice your sleep because of your other half!
- And for many of the same reasons, you should also pack an eye mask if the light of the TV, iPad/Kindle, or daylight bothers you!
- There will be no more fighting for the 1 plug in the room (why do hotels do this!?) if you bring your own power strip for power adapters, charging cables, etc! Avoid the battle for the charge!
Hopefully, this list helps you survive your next hotel stay and thrive as a couple. I’ve been traveling with Mr. Misadventures for years now, and have learned a lot of tips that help make the hotel stay (and the trip) more enjoyable. The majority of these are based on real-world experience rather than theory or textbook knowledge – so you know they work!
Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Opinions are always my own and I’ll never promote something I don’t use or believe in. Also as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What are your thoughts? Did you find these tips helpful? Do they resonate with what you have experienced while traveling as a couple and sharing a hotel room?
Like it? PIN it!