Travel Tip Tuesday – Choosing the right credit card

Travel Tip Tuesday – Choosing the right credit cardEmergencies happen. It seems every day there are more reasons to have a credit card for emergencies. No matter what you are saving up your pennies for, whether it be for emergencies, travel or your favorite charity, keeping within your budget is paramount. We all are looking for the best ways to save money so making sure your credit card doesn’t charge you a ton of fees helps.

I Don’t Have a Credit Card!

That’s okay! Before you decide to apply for random credit cards, just do some research! Start with your credit score if you don’t already know what it is. Freecreditscore.com will help you find out what you need to know about your credit.

Talk to your bank. Your bank has personnel who are always ready to talk to you about building and maintaining your credit. They have a font of knowledge that is there for you to tap, so don’t be shy. Get down there and ask all the questions you need to. It might help if you write some of them down before you go.

Which Card Should I Obtain?

Travel Tip Tuesday – Choosing the right credit card

Photo credit: Pop Sugar

If you are just starting out and haven’t built any credit yet, you might want to try a secured card first. This will help you be able to get a regular card after a year or two of making payments on time. A secured card requires a down payment or collateral. Whatever amount you send them is usually your spending limit. As you make your monthly payments to keep that limit up, your score will increase. It may seem like it takes forever, but the rewards are worth it in the end.

Speaking of rewards, if you only plan on having the card for emergencies, rewards plans won’t do you any good. Many rewards plans are seasonal and you have to opt in at each quarter. This can be time consuming and if you forget to do it, the rewards are useless to you. Check carefully before applying for a rewards card that you may not get any true usage out of.

Low interest cards and balance transfer cards should be taken into consideration for those who don’t need flyer miles or rewards. Low interest will keep you in your budget and a good balance transfer card can be helpful when emergencies pop up. Make sure you read the fine print. You don’t want hidden fees all of a sudden showing up on your bill. That is sure to give you an apoplexy when you open it.

Cash back cards are quickly becoming one of the most popular cards out there. After all, who wouldn’t want money back for spending money. If you have a good card that gives you cash back, you will save a lot more money.

Where Can I Find Credit Cards?

Travel Tip Tuesday – Choosing the right credit card

NerdWallet allows you to compare credit cards and find the best fit for you. Whether it is a rewards card, cash back, low interest or cards for low or bad credit, they can help find the card you need. NerdWallet is rapidly becoming a household name in saving money. It is a company that is dedicated to helping people keep on their budgets.

Search on NerdWallet to find your needed card! You may also look at your bank institution as they may have special offers for cards! Businesses in your area may offer deals during the week as well.

By doing research, you too can choose the right credit card. Just remember to always pay back on time!

Comments

1. I’ve recently become a NerdWallet fan. No kidding!!

@Jen, it is pretty cool, right?!

3. I really need to start learning more about this, shame on me for not getting a good travel card program ages ago!

4. What a neat concept NerdWallet is! Always read your fine print! We just learned our VISA covers rental car damage so we can skip the rental car company’s fees. We love our freebies for money we’re spending anyway! :)
    ♥Chania

@Chania, I had the same experience with my Amex last year, coverage for rental cars, it saved me a lot of money!

6. sandra davis says:

nerd credit card is a great idea to help out.

7. Gina Brickell says:

It’s hard choosing a good card. I have a bunch because I always get sucked in by the good offers they have. I have a basic rewards, airline rewards, hotel rewards… I tend to put everything on the card and pay it every month, so it’s really a good way to get some freebie things!

8. Paula V says:

I’ve had the same credit card for probably 15 years and am most pleased with the company, USAA, I also have my insurance with them. Very reputable and they give cash back. I’ve received up to $400 in a year but typically average about $200. I’ve heard some cc companies can actually hurt your credit. We use the cc for most all purchases and then pay it off every month faithfully…that’s how we can rack up dollars for the cash back.

@Gina, that is the best way to take advantage of all those opportunities while keep excellent credit!

@Paula, I love and adore USAA and have been a loyal member for more than 20 years too!

11. I love NerdWallet! I stumbled upon it not too long ago.

12. This is all great advise- thanks!

13. Nerd wallet, sounds awesome. Thanks for the tips. I never knew much about credit or cards.

14. I do not have as many options in Canada but I use a credit card that gives 1% back in cash at the end of the year based on the purchases I’ve made

15. Cathy Shaw says:

I used to work in the credit card industry. I do think that a lot of people don’t realize that they CAN get a credit card if they opt for a secured card. It’s a great way to get started with credit and build your credit rating.

16. We have used the same credit card for years. It is great it gives 5% towards a new GM car

17. md Kennedy says:

Every year I get my credit card renewal and ponder whether the price is worth it – I pay $120 a year! I always pay it off and I get miles, so I guess it is better than a more expensive ($450!) AMEX. It just hurts to pay for it!