(Not quite) Wordless Wednesday #181: Escape to North Lake Tahoe

North Lake Tahoe

A few weeks ago I was invited to visit North Lake Tahoe as part of a Kred Rewards program (read more about what Kred is here).  It had been nearly fifteen years since I had been to the Lake Tahoe area, and even then, it was only to South Lake Tahoe.

What a mistake that was.

Only a few hours away from the San Francisco Bay Area (for me it is 3 depending on traffic) is a magical place.  A true escape.  I was instantly transported back to my winters in France and Switzerland at the foot of the Jura mountains and just a stone’s throw from the Alps.

Snow makes everything beautiful and there has been plenty this year.  But even without snow there are so many things to do both indoors and out you’ll find plenty of reasons to keep coming back throughout the year.

It reminded me of a very important lesson, you don’t have to travel very far at all to be in a whole other world and to escape your daily life and routine.

How about you?  Do you have a magical spot in your backyard?

P.S. North Lake Tahoe is hosting a photo contest in January.  You can win lift tickets, a new winner each week!

Comments

1. I have never been to Lake Tahoe… but I know I would love it… xv

2. Marthalynn says:

No magical spots in my backyard. Not like this anyway. I have been wanting to visit Lake Tahoe for some time now! It’s hard to decide whether to go when it’s cold or when it’s warm because both look like beautiful options!

3. cathy henatyszen says:

no real special magical spot in my own backyard, just a couple cows..hehe… would sure love to visit lake tahoe

4. Daun Richert-Slagle says:

I love Lake Tahoe. The ski resort has dry powder snow.. the best kind to learn to ski in.. no slush rarely ice, best right after a snow. Tahoe Wabo is awesome on the Nevada California border. I met Aaron Hagar there and saw Sammy in concert on fathers day 2007. They have Shakespeare on the lake and beautiful boutiques. Excellent vacation get-a-way anytime of year… i live 1.5 hrs north of Sacramento.. so i have City life south and Mountains 2 hrs north. love my backyard..

5. I have no magical spot in my back yard.

6. Maddie K. says:

Living so close to NYC, I sorta consider it my backyard. I find it a a wonderfully intoxicating and magical place.

7. I can’t say it’s quite in my backyard, but my favorite spot out of them all so far is my Aunt’s cabin in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. It’s so peaceful and I just LOVE it :)
    I hope to be able to travel one day and see more places though!

8. wow, your pictures are stunning! i wish i could go visit!

9. Connie Lee says:

I live in North Carolina. We have the mountains in the west, the beaches in the east, and a whole lot of pretty countryside in the middle.

10. Vikki Cousin says:

We have a lot of magical spots around here. I live in southwestern Washington state on the coast.

11. I have a trail behind my house that leads to a small river. In the winter we sled down the hills to the river and then ice skate the frozen river. In the summer we picnic and fish there. Its great

12. dawn johnson says:

We have a state park with a lot of nice trails, mountains and waterfalls

13. My husband and I were fortunate to visit there a few years ago in the Spring. We were visiting Vegas and decided to take a day to visit the Lake. The scenery on the drive over was gorgeous and even though it was May, it snowed lightly and there was snow on the mountains.

14. Wow, it’s so beautiful there! I grew up with snow and moved a little bit away and never see and I miss it so much! I would say going back there to visit and get away would be my magical backyard spot. It’s only an hour or so away and beautiful this time of year. :)

15. @Jess, I miss snow too! It really makes things truly magical. BUT I suppose if you live in a spot where you get it all the time, you might get tired of it!

16. I like how you write, it’s so inspiring :)

17. Lake Tahoe is so beautiful. I went back to visit last year after a 10 year absence. Just watching the sun set over the lake is an awe-inspiring experience. And the giant pine cones. Love those.
    Living in Colorado has some of the same “beautiful backyard” features. I can’t see the mountains from my house, but a quick bike ride takes me into Cherry Creek State Park lets me enjoy water, deer, and a view of the mountains….forgetting that it’s a major metro area.
    I’ve never lived anywhere without snow. What’s that like?

@Jenni, I have only been to Colorado once – and need to go back – and it was gorgeous! There are several spots I want to visit: Boulder, Colorado Springs, skiing, hiking, tons! What’s it like without snow? Boring! I miss living in spots where there are four seasons!

19. I have not been to Lake Tahoe, but I hear is beautiful with lots of things to do. I have a tremendous fear of flying so anywhere I go is driving. I do however have a magical place to retreat in my back yard. We have a very large pond, a huge fire pit and we look out from our deck to a beautiful view of the mountains. I love the changing colors of the trees from Fall to Summer. It is a breath taking view so it makes up for my fear of flying to see the rest of the world.

20. Summer bartlett says:

Oh Id love to go to Lake Tahoe!!! Ive actually never been in California and I live in Oregon :/ Terrible I know!!! The snow is so pretty. Maybe one day :)

21. amanda s. says:

Such a beautiful place.

22. Mary Dailey says:

That is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to go at least once!

23. What’s up everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this web page, and article
    is genuinely fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting such content.

24. viamea czy naprawdę działa says:

I tend not to drop a leave a response, but I browsed
    a few comments on (Not quite) Wordless Wednesday #181: Escape
    to North Lake Tahoe – Misadventures with Andi.
    I do have a few questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be simply me or do some of these remarks come across as if they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at additional sites, I’d like
    to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you list
    of all of all your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

25. Elizabeth Gentry says:

I’ve always wanted to go skiing. It’s one of the only sports on my list that I haven’t tried yet. I shall cross it off the list one day :)

26. I live in PA and we get snow but this is very beautiful indeed. I have never gone skiing but love staying in the cabins and drinking coffee or cocoa.

27. oh my gosh…. the photo is breathtaking! Makes me want to hurry up and buy an RV and go!!

28. That is a beautiful mountain! I have never been to Lake Tahoe, but lived for several years at the foot of the Rockies in Wyoming. I loved it so much! Never did learn to ski though! Now I live where snow if pretty rare and when we do get some, everyone panics because it literally shuts the place down. I miss snow!

@Lisa, rain and snow, both still cause everyone to panic here! I am not a huge fan of skiing but I love to be inside looking out!

30. Laura Lanza says:

Closest I got was Vegas – I hear this is very nice though.

31. I absolutely ADORE South Lake Tahoe! WE used to rent a condo at Lakeland Village every winter. We haven’t done this in a few years and I sure miss it!

32. Susan Smith says:

I love South Lake Tahoe. I have never been there in the winter but it was pretty in the Summer and the weather is great, not so hot as Las Vegas is.

33. Andi I sure do. It is Maymont Park and that is where I got married and I remember school trips and picnic lunches there. It has always been special to me. They have Japanese and Italian Gardens, a herb garden, horses, goats, sheep, a koi pond, ducks, bears, bald eagles and other birds of prey, gazebos, butterfly gardens, trails, a mansion, a river system of the James, otters…Super fun and everything is free except for the nature center. https://www.maymont.org Check it out if you are ever in Richmond, VA. I love your name. Not sure if I already said that or not. It reminds me of Pretty in Pink.