(Not quite) Wordless Wednesday #171: Mixing Board Geekery

(Not quite) Wordless Wednesday #171: Mixing Board Geekery

Is it just me or are mixing boards so cool?  I had the opportunity to spend the day at the Record Plant recording studio in Hollywood on Sunday.  The history of this place will blow your mind. I was there to cover a session with LL COOL J and a musician named Def K who had won a contest that my company helped sponsor.

I had never been in a recording studio, its a pretty interesting place.  While I was there both will.i.am and Avril Lavigne were in other studios down the hall, although I never ran into them.

For me I loved the rooms which were way cool.

How about you? Have you ever been in a recording studio? What was your experience like?

Comments

1. I don’t think they’re cool at all, but my husband used to deejay and he does.

2. Well, mixing boards might not be cool, but LL COOL J sure the heck is! Oh my gosh, he was like my first real man crush (my first crush was Michael Jackson, but he, um, wasn’t a REAL man)! Ladies love him and I am so jealous!

3. I remember as a kid/teen I really wanted to work in the music industry; I’m not sure why that passion faded (and turned into film), but I still think recording studios hold a kind of coolness. This is a great picture! I had an internship in college with a small commercial production company and I remember one week there were rumors that Sheryl Crow was in the room next to us recording an album. I never saw her, but it was neat to think she was so close!

4. Cassandra Garffie says:

Yeah, just you…to many knobs to hurt myself on.

5. Catherine says:

THEY ARE COOL. Oh my word. Its just such a beautiful tool, for making beauty and things that touch people.
    Or just a serious awesome tool used to get dancing. Whateves. ;)

6. Amy Heffernan says:

I was to LA once. Beautiful place!!

7. I took a sound and recording class when I was in college, and can’t believe everything that goes into creating a mix! The people who do this are very talented. I’ve only ever been in my college’s recording studio, though. It would be really cool to go to see a legitimate studio!! (I went to a very small college, therefore had a small recording studio).

8. Mary Dailey says:

I would love to do this and would actually like to sing and record it!

9. I have never been in a mixing studio but I have been in a tv production truck!

10. Victoria Cortinas says:

I want to hang out with LL Cool J!! LOL . I also have always wanted to push all of the buttons and move those things up and down, haha. I’m such a dork :)

11. Elizabeth Gentry says:

i have never been in a recording studio but my boyfriend is a recording artist and was in a band signed to an indie label. They were on tour for a couple of years, made 2 cd’s, a couple of video’s on MTV and got to open for some pretty popular bands like Marilyn Manson, White Zombie, and some others. It sounded like a really fun experience but all that technical stuff he knows comes in handy still…

12. It would really be something else to learn to run a recording studio. I would love to sing in one someday and see how I would fair out.

13. I have never been to a recording studio but I know I would have been in awe of those sound boards. I just love where our technology has gone over the years to allow us such great sound products.

14. #5 I have never been to a mixing studio myself, I think it would be so much fun to actually see music artists in the studio.