Misadventures in Eating Flowers

One thing I neglected to write about while detailing my farm-to-table adventures at The Willows Inn was the fact that I actually got sick from the meal.  I didn’t want to take away from the amazing meal I had by including the fact that it came at a cost.

You remember that lovely dessert with 15 wild flowers?  Well one of those little guys must have had some pollen in it.  I was taking my homeopathic allergy medicine, but by directly ingesting the pollen, I had no chance!

It was like I had drunk battery acid.  Just five minutes after eating dessert my throat was on fire and my ears ached like crazy.  If you remember my post on Lummi Island you will recall that there are no facilities so no quick run to the drug store for some Benadryl (a la Hitch, if you have ever seen that movie you will know what I am talking about!).

Luckily the next morning I found an old Claritin shoved into the corner pocket of my toiletry bag and immediately took it. I am sure it was expired, as I had not taken “hard-drugs” in years since I now only primarily use homeopathic medicine, but I really didn’t care at that point.

It has been two weeks and the allergy attack that began after ingesting the flowers still has my allergies causing more of a problem than I’d like, but I am sure with time all things will go back to normal.

I can tell you one thing.  Even knowing I would have an allergy attack, I’d do it all over again!

The meal was just that good!

Comments

  1. SO sorry to hear about your attack! But what a pretty dessert.

  2. @AndiP, pretty and tasty!

  3. Oh dear – I would never have imagined that ingesting flowers meant an allergy attack. I didn’t put the two and two together (duh).

  4. @Jennie, I don’t think it was the digesting but the pollen dust getting in my throat, either way it wasn’t fun!

  5. That’s so scary! It does look beautiful, and it must have been delicious.

  6. @Nicole, everything was so delicious that I can’t really be too mad about the pollen ;-)

  7. MD Kennedy says:

    So glad you are better, but was the dessert worth it? I keep reading more and more about how sugar is a REAL health problem…..

  8. Alex Roach says:

    Wow I don’t know if I could do that

  9. Andrea H says:

    I never would have given it a second thought – I would have eaten all those beautiful flowers myself! & likely been in the same boat.

  10. Oh my goodness, what an adventure. Isn’t it funny how random things like this could happen? I definitely would have done the same and tried to enjoy the whole dessert and paid for it in the end.

Speak Your Mind

*